Sunday, April 05, 2009

The Journey of a Thousand Miles...

....begins with some new luggage!

In the 13.5 years we've been married, we've never bought luggage. We have some luggage that my dad gave us, but it's big and clunky and really doesn't suit our needs. We've made do with it over the years, and I appreciate that it was there for our use.. and now it's being banished to the attic. The kids will use it for their school trips, and whatever money my parents paid for that luggage (my parents bought that when they were still married if that tells you how old it is... they've been divorced for 10 years).. it was money well spent.


In 2010, The Boy and I are going to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. In 15 years we have never gone on a "big trip" anywhere. We had our kids young, obviously, and there hasn't been time or money to do so. The kids are older now, and we are saving up to go away next summer to the Mediterranean. In light of this, I decided it was high time to buy some luggage.

I did lots of research, because I don't ever want to buy luggage again. We also plan on doing more traveling once the kids have moved out (hey, when Ms. Thang turns 18 I'll only be 40!) so we needed versatile luggage. Samsonite was clearing out their Silhouette 10 series, to make way for the "new improved" Silhouette 11 series, and I got a STEAL on all the pieces I bought. Like 65% off of original prices steal. I bought (2) 26" uprights with spinning wheels (we went to Target to see what size suitcase was the best), (2) carry on-wheeled totes, (2) shoulder totes, and a wheeled garment bag. We tried to think about all the things we need luggage for NOW, to make sure that we had pieces that would work for us. I think I hit the nail head on. The shoulder totes slide over the handles of both the upright suitcase and the wheeled tote (as seen in the photo I took) and I am really quite pleased with it all.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

wow, great luggage!

I hope you are planning to leave the kids at HOME for this trip, lol. need anyone to keep them while you are gone? I know they aren't "little" but if you don't want them to stay alone overnight, let us know...

onescrappychick said...

Yes we are... and we haven't worked that part out yet. LOL Thank you for the offer though, I'll keep it in mind.

@wesome@bby said...

Where are you GOING?!?! Do we have to wait til 2010 to find out?