Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Seriously?!

So The Boy and I have been talking about doing something we haven't ever done this year at the holidays. Like go see The Boston Pops holiday show, or the Transiberian Orchestra's holiday show.. or did you know that How The Grinch Stole Christmas: The Musical is playing in Boston this December? So I got online tonight to do a little searching, check tickets prices and show dates... and I think I need to go have a lie down. Did you know that "ok-ish" seats to see the Pops in Boston start at $92 a piece?


 If you want to see The Boston Ballet's Nutcracker you have to be prepared to shell out $400 for a family of 4 to get "pretty ok" seats the week before Christmas. TSO has had their tickets for sale since September, which was "shell out tons of money for a family wedding" month, and I had to decide that TSO tickets weren't in the picture. If I try to get tickets now... you can have nosebleed seats for $65 a piece. Ummm.. no thanks. Why do tickets to see The Grinch start at $110? I mean.. really? Do they expect people who are paying out the nose for gas and groceries this year to be able to have a little holiday culture at those prices?

For $92.35 total, I can get 4 tickets to see the Manchester Monarchs the weekend after Christmas. (which I did, we love to support our local hockey team). For $76 total, we can all spend 2 hours tubing at Granite Gorge which is about 40 minutes away from here. They increased their rates $4 a person since last year, but that's still less than $20 for 2 hours which is still a deal! For $10 per person, you can rent snowshoes for 1/2 a day, or if you are adventurous, $15 per person will get you a whole day. For $20 per person, we can take a Sleigh Ride through a lighted winter wonderland at Charmingfare Farm, in Candia NH. That might be fun, and they have a Bonfire. We have 2 weeks off for Christmas break this year. I don't think we'll be cultured, but I think we'll find enough to keep us busy.

No comments: