Thursday, September 15, 2011

In Which We Find a Day at The Farmer's Market




Each Tuesday and Saturday, from early May until early October, you can find local folks selling produce and homemade wares in the center of Keene. At 9am, a gentleman walks down the middle of the market and blows what I think is a bike horn. No one is allowed to purchase any items until that horn blasts, but you are allowed to "window shop" and you can set aside items at some of the booths.


Having had the good fortune to work the blueberry farm's booth at a Saturday market this summer, I have a whole new appreciation for it. To say there's a lot of energy in the air at market would be a gross understatement. It's a little bit crazy.  Ok, it's a lot crazy. But it's soo much fun. The day I was there went by pretty quick due to how busy we were all day long. I'm hoping to be able to work every Saturday next summer.

Some of the nicest folks own farms and grow produce or raise livestock in our region. They will happily stand and chat with you about their farm, or the way that they nourish their plants, or how they feed their chickens that laid the eggs you are about to buy. On top of farmer's we also have some folks who make furniture, jewelry and sell plants of all sorts. It's a lovely thing and I look forward to the end of August when I no longer have to miss out on market due to work.
Last Saturday I brought along my camera and snapped photos of some of my favorite things at market.  I love the way some of the grower's pile their produce up on tables, (The gentleman who grows the yummy veggies in the first photo keeps the booth next to ours and is delightful. I buy from him often), and some use baskets. I can't buy the granola, but I love how they sell it in mason jars, which is how I store the granola that I make at home. If you've been here a while, you know how much I love galvanized pails. Especially if they contain flowers.



No comments: