Wednesday, November 07, 2007

She's Gone Country........

I don't like awards shows as a rule. I'm not interested in actors that star in shows that I don't watch. I have a hard time watching awards being given out for movies I haven't seen. I don't watch music videos. I don't care about soap operas. I used to watch just to see who was wearing what.. but I don't really care all that much about fashion and what's hot and what's not either.

Ya'll.. I love the Country Music Awards. I know the bands. I recognize the singers. I can sing along with the songs. This is my kind of show. I wasn't always a fan of country music. In fact, back in the day if you asked me what kind of music I liked, my standard response was "I like all kinds of music except rap and country music." (which wasn't entirely true either, I'm not a big fan of heavy metal either) My idea of country music was that old, twangy depressing kind of music. Because I had an unwritten bias against the whole genre, I failed to realize that country was "changing". Coming of "age" if you will.


The Boy started listening to country music before I did. He'd have it on in his car when I got in, and I'd roll my eyes and give him all sorts of crap. Turns out he heard that Dixie Chicks song, "Earl's Gotta Die" and he was hooked. We had just recently moved out here to "the country" from the city and it was just too easy to crack jokes at his expense. Then the company he worked for closed and he was out of work for a while. He slowly started playing the country music at home. Slowly eased it into my "air space". Forced me to listen against my better judgment. And a funny thing happened. I discovered I actually enjoyed it. Who'd a thunk?

I still don't much care for the "old twangy stuff".... but I can't think of a better way to spend a cold November night than to be snuggled up on the couch under my favorite Red Sox blanket, with a sleeping cat curled against my legs, humming along with some of my favorite songs.

*image from www.art.com

1 comment:

t said...

Somehow I found myself watching too, even though I didn't know any of the songs and barely recognized most of the artist. You can't beat a country awards show for a whole lotta sparkle though.

That photo is GORGEOUS.