Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I'm Still Standing

I apologize for my lack of bloggy-ness as of late. It's been a vicious cycle of work, errands, running, chores, meetings, taxi-ing the kids around... lather, rinse, repeat. I really haven't had one thing work blogging about going on, until this weekend. This was a crazy busy weekend at my house. First we had my least favorite holiday on Friday. I think we had far more kids that normal trick-or-treating this year, and I didn't recognize about half of them. We had less teenagers and more really little kids, which was nice. My friend came over and we sat out on the step that leads to the porch and handed out candy and laughed and laughed and laughed. She stayed for dinner afterwards (I love my crockpot so much when the weather gets cold) and overall it was a nice night regardless.


Saturday, while we were out doing our errands, we bought new furniture for our family room. People, this is huge. We have been married 13 years and have never owned a new couch. Our first couch was cushions and large pillows sprawled across the floor. Not so easy to get up from when you are pregnant. Our first real couch came from our downstairs neighbor who was moving and didn't want to take it. We got a couch and a love seat and I was never more happy. We moved to a new apartment and took it with us, and then my mom gave us her living room set that was about a year old. That set has been through 2 moves (one from her house), a fire, a dog who was 4 mos. old when we got her, 2 kids and now 3 cats. It's about 10 years old and I have been wanting to replace it for about 6 or 7. We bought a couch, a chaise, a chair and a new stand thingy for our T.V. I am super excited about all of it. Don't ask about the pellet stove we were saving for, because really.. I'm much happier with the prospect of a new couch. Especially since one of the legs on ours is broken and I'm worried someone will sit on that end and have it give out under them. We are going to have a friend of ours who is a contractor come over and give us a quote on doing some work in our family room. If it's feasible I would like to have it done before 5-8 weeks when our furniture comes in. We'll see. If not, at least now I have a plan.

On Sunday, while I fall cleaned and rearranged the playroom a bit to suit the needs of 2 older children, The Boy took the old wood-stove out of the kitchen. It was a huge project and I a so glad that damn thing is gone. I do miss the flat surface that it provided, but I can't get over how much room it added to our kitchen. He discovered a hole rusted through the bottom of it, so when we stopped using it after 3 winters in our house, it was probably a GOOD THING. It left a hole in the kitchen floor that I have covered up for now with a rug. As you can see, it's a very popular spot fo the cats. This is the first stage of our kitchen renovation which I am not ready to undergo anytime in the near future, not matter how much my brother nags.

On a side note, when I started writing this post they announced that Barrack Obama won the presidency.. what an amazing day for our country. God Bless America.

No comments: