Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Garden 2010

2010 will be known at the year we had a "good old fashioned summer." My kids, who have never known a real summer in there lives, have spent countless hours complaining about how hot it has been since July started. I have tried to impress upon them, that this is SUMMER. July is SUPPOSED to be hot. I, on the other hand, have been loving every minute of it, even with having to work 40 hours outside in the heat. (that's another post)



My garden, which you might remember did so poorly last year, has also been loving the weather. I did have to spend a large amount of time earlier in the month out there watering every day, but it has been so worth it. I have gotten a little lax in my watering efforts as of late, but we've been getting rain during the nights, and  some of the days, so it's been OK.

This year I am growing: heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, zucchini, mixed color bell peppers, and green beans. In the late spring, much to my own doubt, I planted a spring crop of lettuce, radishes, parsnips, green onions and carrots. They were all supposed to be ready in 55 days.. just in time for me to put in the summer garden. I harvested the carrots last week, the lettuce that we haven't eaten is still out there, and the parsnips are still in the ground. I won't be doing that again. After I pulled out the radishes, I put in some beets, which are still babies, and we'll see how they do. I won't be planting green beans again, because they just don't yield enough on the amount of plants I put in to make them worth my while. However, I will never grow cukes without a trellis, because OMG, they are doing awesome.

1 comment:

Bec said...

Your garden looks great! I've been impressed with my own gardening (first real try!) this year... I started the spring/summer saying, "if I get ONE tiny cherry tomato, I'll consider myself a success" well, last I counted, there were 25... just waiting for them to turn red!