Sunday, October 17, 2010

October is for Pumpkins

After getting back late last night from Dover (I'll do a post about the band show later today), it wasn't too hard to convince myself to get back into bed at 5am after shutting off the alarm. The phone woke me up at 7:45am, and at first I was startled to see the sun. When you get up at 5am in October, it's typically pitch dark out. In fact, at 6:45am, it's still pitch dark out. The darkness, at both ends of the day, is something I struggle with every year. It messes with my running schedule, it messes with my mental well being, and it makes me tired.


Every year I talk about how I'm going to battle it, and this year was no different. Except I haven't run in weeks. I hit the alarm and go back to bed knowing that The Boy™'s alarm will go off at 5:30 and I can just get up then. Being super busy after school has kept me from plunking down on the couch right after dinner, so at least that is going well. This morning, as I stood in the kitchen, listening to the quiet of the house and the hum of the furnace down in the basement and making pumpkin pancakes, I decided that starting tomorrow, I am back on the "fight the winter blues" horse, which includes updating my blog on a regular basis (look for some back-dated posts to come soon).  Today is for fall cleaning, and baking, and maybe a movie with the family later this afternoon. I have laundry that needs doing, some ironing to get done, and hopefully a nice run before dinner. My word for this year was Balance, and I'm not so sure I found it. I think I might re-use it next year, and see if I can do better.

No comments: