Thursday, October 21, 2010

What a Stink

Back in my teen-aged years, I remember getting magazines meant for teens, that were full of samples of perfumes. Every 20 pages or so would have a card-stock insert screaming, "lift here for ____" or " rub here for _______".  Back in those days, I thought it was the coolest thing. The only scent my mother ever bought for me was Luv's Baby Soft (remember that?!) and magazine samples let me be bold and daring. I'd rip them out and save them in a drawer in my nightstand.

Fast forward 20 years and a sensitivity to strong smells later, and I'm not such a fan anymore. Yesterday I came home from school with a headache that quickly turned into a wretched migraine. I couldn't knit, I wasn't up for the light of my laptop screen, and so I sat on the couch with some mindless TV and a magazine. Magazine's aren't heavy reading and I thought it might me a nice distraction. Something to do so that I didn't go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 3am.

I sat there, flipping along... and then it hit me. Why magazine editors need to put scents in magazines for adults is beyond me. Isn't that what the mall is for? This particular ad, for a scent I can't even remember now, had 4... FOUR.. flaps for you to lift and rub with. That's a little much. Needless to say, that was the end of me. The heavy scent, on top of the screaming headache, did me in and I went to bed.

On a side note, I'd like to add.. that Ms. Thang is currently receiving a subscription to Teen Vogue, and recently I was in her room to deliver her a pile of laundry when I noticed a funky smell. Not dirty feet, or "teen smell" (as I like to call it).. but something, well.. funky. Upon questioning her, I discovered she too is a ripper of scented inserts. She has a pile of them on her dresser. Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

No comments: