Thursday, October 13, 2011

In Which I Wax Poetic About Fall

photo from 2010
It's no secret around here that I LOVE fall. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the other season's, it's just that I LOVE fall.

I love spring, with all it's new growth, flowers, and the return of migratory birds. I like to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, and watch the grass green up and the leaves burst out of the buds on the trees.

I love summer, with it's glorious produce, long lazy days, and beautiful weather. I can't tell you how summer rejuvenates my soul. Sitting in the sun, or on the porch, or at the lake and just enjoying it all is one of my favorite past-times when I'm not busy working. I love swimming and camping and hiking and the farmer's market and a million other things about summer.

I love winter for about a week. I love the first snowfall of the season. I love to see white lights twinkling off of fresh snow, and green wreaths with bright red bows hanging off of old houses. The candles in the windows that dot the old houses around here speak to my soul. The problem with winter is the bitter cold, which I don't handle well, so my love for winter is short lived.

But none of these things are fall.  Fall is crisp mornings and warm afternoons. Cozy blankets brought out to snuggle with on the couch while watching a movie. Leaves crunching underfoot and woodsmoke drifting through the neighborhood. Warm sweaters that have been stored away since spring. Casseroles and pumpkin and comfort food. I could wax poetic about fall all night, but I won't.

This fall, however, is crazy and chaotic and stressful and I feel like it's passing by too fast and if I blink I might miss it. Tonight while I was wandering on the web, I came across this little bit from The Inspired Room. It was too good not to share.



20 Little Things To Treasure in Autumn

  1. Quiet dinners by the fire
  2. Reading mystery novels in darkened rooms
  3. Flannel sheets at the end of a long day
  4. Candles Flickering
  5. Smelling cinnamon, oranges & cloves
  6. Pumpkins
  7. Roasts, Potatoes & Carrots
  8. Fluffy feather beds on a cold night
  9. Watching movies snuggled in soft blankets
  10. Cozy socks
  11. Pie in the oven
  12. Warm crackling wood stoves
  13. Squash with buttered brown sugar
  14. Chili and corn bread smothered in honey
  15. Wind blowing through leaves
  16. Glow of lamps through windows
  17. Laughter filling a room
  18. Scrabble and popcorn
  19. Caramel apples
  20. Family


1 comment:

Annalise Roberts said...

Love this list!
And so glad you like pumpkin squares.