Wednesday, February 01, 2012

All in Good Time

As the blog has been quiet these past few weeks, so I have been quiet as well. I have been taking a long, hard look at some areas in my life that haven't been working well for a long time now. When I chose REVIVE as my word for 2012, I knew that it wasn't going to be an easy word, or an easy year. Coming off of the year that I just have, "there is a lot that needs fixin' " as the saying goes. Instead of jumping in whole hog with all of the things on the list, or even making a list at all, because really.. that would depress the heck out of me, I decided early on that I was going to focus on one thing each month.

I truly believe, that if you focus on one thing at a time, you can change your whole life in a year. Now I'm not saying that you should, or that I need to, I'm just saying that you COULD. One of the things that I let fall out of importance last year was my daily devotional time that I had started doing. I had picked up this great little book by Max Lucado, whom I love, called Grace for the Moment. It has a devotional reading along with a Bible verse, and a question to journal about,  for morning and evening for every day of the year.  So my goal for January, was to start all over again and do it every day.

What works for me, being a type A with OCD tendencies kind of person, is to have a scheduled time to do it. So I decided that I would start out my day by having breakfast at the table instead of my desk, and doing my morning devotions over breakfast. On top of doing this, I subscribe to a little daily devotional booklet for The Boy™ called Living Faith that he likes to do in the morning after his shower and getting dressed before he comes downstairs, that has a little reading and the readings for the daily Mass, and they sent him two copies of Jan-Mar this year by mistake. He gave me the double, and I have been doing this with my breakfast as well. I can't tell you what a nice start to my day it has been. I haven't missed a single day yet this year, even the past 5 or 6 when I have been so under the weather, and it just sets a nice tone for the rest of my day. I try really hard to get my evening devotional time in after dinner, but that has been a little bit more of a struggle. There have been some days when I have done my evening devotion with the morning one the next day. I am working on being better with that, but I feel really good about where I am after just one month. Next week I'll share what I am going to be working on for February.


No comments: