Tuesday, January 06, 2009

In Which We Find Sadness..................

One of the most amazing people I've even known passed away today. She was 88 years old, married for 60 years, raised 3 children, had 13 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. She lived to see wars, depressions, the invention of cars, the Wall coming down, the invention of Monopoly and a million other different ups and downs. She never drove one mile, nor did she have a drivers license. If she wanted to get somewhere she walked, took the bus or someone drove her. She never worked, as far as I am aware, a day in her life. She took care of her children, and her house, and her husband, and when her children were all raised and grown... she babysat my cousins so that my aunt and uncle could work. She enjoyed every minute of it and I never heard her complain. I used to stay with them for a week every summer for a bunch of years when I was growing up. We always had hot dogs on Saturday evening, went to church first thing on Sunday and we would always go to Maine for a day. We drove up, went outlet shopping and then went out for seafood on the harbor. I always got to have lobster and my grandmother never said "No". Until the Alzheimer's changed her personality I never heard her raise her voice one time in my life. She never argued, she never yelled and I never heard her say an unkind word. She was, without fail, one of the best people I've ever had the privileged of knowing and I will miss her more than I can express. Arrivederci nonna. Riposi bene e vada con il dio.

4 comments:

Bec said...

Aren't grandmas great? Glad you have many happy memories to hold on to. Hugs!

Carly said...

Oh, I'm so very sorry... she sounds like such a wonderful woman.

t said...

My condolences Beth. I'm sorry for your loss.

Lissa Ballard said...

Beth, I'm so sorry. You all have my sympathies. Warm hugs and love...