Friday, February 06, 2009

Observations on High School....

Or How Is This Even Possible?

Last night I attended an 8th grade parent information night. I knew it was coming, I've had it on my calendar for about a month and a half now. I read the little blurb about 'information for next year' that came home and didn't give it much more thought. The other day I was asking my friend and coworker who's daughter is also in Mr. Man's class if she was going to the meeting and another coworker/friend of ours asked what it was about. Before I could reply, she answered, 'It's about our kids starting High School next year.' UMMMMMMMMM... WHAT?! That was the extent of my reaction. I knew he was going into 9th grade. I knew 9th grade was high school. In my brain I knew all of this.. but it didn't hit me until the other day. My son is starting High School. Are you kidding me?!?!


He is so ready for HS. He is a smart and capable kid and he is going to do great things in life. HS is going to give him the chance to take classes that will challenge him more than he's ever been and he can't wait. He is already talking a HS algebra class this year, and one of his teachers just talked to The Boy this week about OKing a HS credit technical drawing course for this semester that is just starting. He plans to cram as many classes into the next 4 years that he can, and I know he's already planning how he can come up with an extra hour a day to take some Virtual HS classes online.

I don't know if I am ready for HS. I am still trying to get used to the idea of Ms. Thang leaving elementary school and going over to Middle School (the MS and HS are in the same building, so now they will both be with The Boy for 6 years, as they were with me in elementary school for 6 yrs). Who am I going to walk to school with? How weird is it going to be to be the last one out the door everyday? All these adjustments... and now HS thrown in for good measure. I need a lie down.

No comments: