Saturday, August 11, 2007

Eye Candy Friday (a few minutes late)

The other day, after they whacked down my poor Maple tree and mucked up my hedges, I found myself outside in the yard. I was wandering around a bit, taking stock of the situation. I wandered over and checked out my flower garden. I was walking back into the house, and just realizing that I had put the gate across the inside of the porch door, when I came face to face with the biggest humming bird I've ever seen. I was literally 2-3 feet away from it. I quietly moved back, and then ran around the front, in the door and grabbed the camera. My kind of luck would usually have the hummingbird long gone by the time I got back. Not that day.



I quietly got as close as I could, and tried my damnedest to get a decent photo. As you can see, I didn't have much luck. I'm not quite sure what type of hummingbird it is, nor if it's a male or female (I'm guessing by it's blue-green coloring, male), but it was hovering right there, feeding on my flowers. I stood there until it got spooked and flew across the street and landed in my neighbors tree. It landed on a branch and its' wings stopped beating and from a distance it looked just like a regular bird. It was, by far, the highlight of that entire crappy day.

No comments: