Friday, March 17, 2006

D is for...

D is for Drum.

I play in a Steel Drum group called the Steel Magnolia's (clever name isn't it?). We're the only all woman group in our lot, hence the name. Forget for a minute that it's one of my top 5 movies. Anyhow, that is the drum I play. It's called a Chromatic Lead and it plays the melody. It is the drum that has the most notes on it, and I love playing it.

Our music teacher decided a few years back to start a steel drum group, and it just took off like wildfire. Currently we have 2 kids groups, one that has students who have been playing between 1-3 years, and one beginner group. The kids are just amazing. They memorize those songs and the note placement and they don't even open their music books.. they just play. And they are good. Real good.

We also have a bunch of adult groups. Their is the first group that ever started, and has been playing the longest. It's a group of staff from both schools (we share our music teacher). We also have 3 community groups. One just started up this fall, the one I play in and one that has been around a bit longer. Actually, I will be playing with them soon also, but Elaine won't let me leave our group because she says, "You're carrying them." That's all I have to say about that.

Anyhow, we have a rocking good time. We meet once a week to play, and practice, and we regularly do gigs. In May we are headed up to North Conway for The New England Steel Band Festival. It's a day long event where groups from all over New England come and play. It should be a rocking good time. If you're in the area, come check it out!

(*tomorrow I'll share the hat that almost broke my heart*)

1 comment:

@wesome@bby said...

i'm envious of your music time with friends...something this daughter of the piano teacher really misses. music.