Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Maybe We Should Just "Leaf" Them There

I think that if I were to look back in the archives of the blog, I might discover that in the history of owning our house, this is the LATEST we have ever raked our leaves. This fall has been crazy busy, as I suspect most falls until the kids have graduated from HS will be, and we just didn't have the time. Last weekend, I looked at my calender and realized that every weekend for the rest of the month was free. Nothing was written on any of the days. I actually conferred with the people in my house to make sure that I didn't miss anything, and then secretly did a dance. We haven't had a free weekend in ages, let alone 3 in a row!

Around mid week, I heard the weather guy start talking about a "warm-mild weekend" and started paying attention. I discovered that Saturday was going to be a gorgeous near 60* degree, and told The Boy™ that we were raking the yard. We waited until after lunch to give the frost a chance to melt off and the day to warm up, and then headed out. Suffice to say, we raked the entire thing and had all the leaves cleaned up by 5pm when it became pitch dark. I raked most of the yard myself, and the boys raked the leaves onto the tarp and hauled them to dump across the street. (Ms. Thang wasn't feeling well).It was crazy, and overly ambitious of us, and I for one was sorer than sore the next day, and will admit to some residual shoulder soreness even today, but it was sooooooo worth it. The yard looks much better. The hedges and herbs have their protective piling around the bottoms. All in all, it was a job well done. Bring on the snow.

No comments: