Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Day of Mixed Blessings

Yesterday, at 8:25am, The Boy™'s sister gave birth to my beautiful new niece, Evelyn Elizabeth. Evie weighed a respectable 9 lbs, 13 ounces, is 21 inches long (though her daddy says he's sure it read 21.5, but he's not arguing), and is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen (since her sister was born almost 2 yrs ago of course). Being a short work week, we were not able to make it to the hospital, so my other SIL texted me as soon as there was any news, and updated me with photos, and stats, and then eventually the name. See, Evie's mom and dad have thing thing about revealing the sex ahead of time, but not the name they have chosen. The name gets revealed with the baby. I love that the two names that were chosen, are both of the first names of each of my grandmothers (this was not known to my SIL at the time). I never met my grandmother Evelyn, as she died when my mom was 19, and my grandma Elizabeth was known as Betty by those that used her name. I was very moved when I found out, and tickled beyond measure.

At the same time as all of this was going on, someone else that I am very close to, but can't reveal the identity of or my relationship to, was at the hospital having a D&C due to having lost the baby she was carrying 2.5 weeks ago. She was 8 weeks when she found out that the baby had passed on, and this has been a very difficult time for her and her husband.  She has continued to be very sick this whole time, except that she wasn't able to look at her awful illness with a light at the end anymore. She is feeling remarkably better today, and hopefully this will allow them both to begin the healing process and move on. I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster yesterday, and was glad for the day to end.

Today, we headed out to the hospital to visit the happy parent, and my new baby niece. She's just as adorable, if not more so than the photos show, and I could've snuggled her all day long and never let her go. We didn't get to see her big sister, but that is OK. This day was all about her anyhow, and we snuggled and loved her to pieces. with their new cousin, and Mr. Man, although he didn't want to at first, even held her before we left. It was a great way to spend an afternoon.

No comments: