Sunday, June 19, 2005

Dear Old Dad

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik

Father's Day is always a bittersweet day for me. On one had I have the relationship with my own father, and the scars from it, long healed over, still pain me like they were fresh. On the other hand, is the relationship my own children have with their father.

My Father-in-law did a heck of a job raising his sons. To say I envy the relationship my kids have with my DH would be a gross understatement. They will never doubt for one minute that their dad ever loved them. He is funny and playful and nurturing. Very similar to his own dad, whom I love with all my heart.

So to all you dad's out there, Happy Father's Day. Enjoy the day with your kids.

No comments: