Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It Ends Tonight.....

This little bird is a Dark Eyed Slate Colored Junco. This is the first year the flock of them has come to visit my yard. I'm not sure... but I think there are 8. There could be more, but I haven't counted. I have enjoyed them a lot. They aren't really feeder birds.. they eat the seeds that fall to the ground under the feeders. They play on the snow and in my hedges.. around the base of two different trees. I love the way they sort of hop. They are small and soft looking and I am happy to have had them here this winter. According to Google.. they are snowbirds and I won't see them much longer. That saddens me.. but not enough to be sad that winter is coming to a close.

I'm looking forward to feeling the warm sun on my face as I walk to and from school. I'm looking forward to being able to walk after school, or dinner as the day may dictate. I'm looking forward to the grey, dreary world going away and the green lush world I miss reappearing like a knight in shining armor. My soul is feeling as bleak and dreary as the world around me, and I am in need of renewal.

I need the grass, and the birds, and even the nasty pollen of all types that makes me sniffly and miserable. I need to watch the leaves burst forth from their buds and the flowers bloom into beauty. I need to throw open my windows and rid my house of this old stale air that presently resides in my house. I want to wake up in the morning with the sun glowing on the other side of the windows.

I am tired of walking in minus degree weather to school every day. I am tired of the slush, and the ice and the dirty snowbanks. I am tired of the heavy comfort foods I love so much in early winter. I am tired of being bundled up and still being cold. I hate being cold. I am even tired of my favorite warm and cozy sweaters. I am tired to the very core of my being. I need spring. I don't think it's any small coincidence that arrives when it does... it can't get here a minute too soon.

1 comment:

t said...

Sweetie, you need to spend a winter in CA. I know you'll miss the snow and all, but just one now and then might do you some good.