Sunday, March 11, 2007

Old Man Winter Is On His Way Out.. or Is He?

There's an old saying around here: "There are 4 seasons in NH. Winter, More Winter, Mud Season and Construction." In the span of 3 days we've gone from -8 to upper 40s. Tomorrow they are calling for temps in the low 50's. My sun deprived winter weary body would love to believe that spring is right around the corner, but I'm also realistic. We haven't hard our March Blizzard yet. Heck, we've hardly really had any snow this year. Few storms.. one decent snowfall.. only one snow day.



The only thing I loathe more than winter, is Daylight Savings. I understand why we do it, I really do. I'm all about saving electricity and the planet and what have you. But for the love of Pete can't we just leave the clocks alone. It messes with me for at least 3 days. Let's not even talk about how much it messes up the kids at school. Nothing like getting up at 7 and your body screaming that it's only 6 and why on earth are you dragging me out of bed. (for the kids, I couldn't be so lucky to sleep that late). Our computers and cell phones were smart enough to know that the change came early this year.. so all is good at my house.

We are about to start my favorite week of the year. It's a well known fact that green is my favorite color... and I can't think of a better excuse than St. Patty's day to wear green every single day this week. Oh, yes I do.. all shades and all different types and styles of things. I'm only about an 1/8th Irish ( I tell you.. ask The Boy what it's like to be married to someone who's Italian, French and Irish all mixed into one) but who cares really? Before we head out to town meeting on Saturday the corned beef will go into the crock pot with potatoes and carrots and we'll have a good old fashioned New England dinner.

I wasn't thinking about St. Patty's day when I knit that sweater. My friend delivered the most adorable little boy on Thursday of last week, and the sweater is for him. The color is called Medium Thyme, and as she gardens like I do.. I picked the color in the spirit of that. It just so happens to go along with the holiday theme. I used my favorite Leisure Art pattern, Precious Layettes to Knit. I have knit at least a half dozen of these sweaters, if not more and I never tired of it. It is quick (I knit it over several evenings this week, and it could be done start to finish in a weekend, even a day if you had nothing else to do) and the end results are lovely.

1 comment:

Sgt said...

That's funny. In Louisiana there is an old saying like that too:
"If you don't like the weather, wait 2 hours"

The sweater looked great!