Saturday, June 04, 2011

Pin It!

Ashley took this photo of a rock she decorated in my garden
Have you heard about Pinterest yet? Some clever person(s) created this website, that is essentially a virtual... I can't think of quite the word I want to use. Idea board? Story board? Scrapbook? I say scrapbook, because for years now, I have clipped photos out of magazines of things that caught my eye. It might be a house, or a garden, or a design element, a flower arrangement. Whatever. Once in a while, I take my clippings and I stick them into a cheap-o , ring-bound scrapbook that I bought 10 plus years ago at Wal-Mart. In fact, I'm on the hunt for a few new ones as my original one is full, but they don't seem to make them anymore. Anyhow, when I heard about Pinterest, I was hooked. Here, after all these years of browsing the internet and blog reading, was a way to save all the beautiful ideas that I come across, and then are lost forever.

You create boards based on your own needs/desires, download a little button for your toolbar that reads "pin it", and then when you come across something wonderful.. click that button, tell Pinterest which of your boards to save it to, add a description, and Bob's your uncle. I wish someone had thought of this 15 years ago. I created boards based on themes I normally come across and want to save ideas for. In fact, if I find something and go to pin it, and don't have a board for it, I can create one. You can see my boards here. I've also seen people create more specific boards, such as "color ideas for kitchen" or "outfits for vacation"... there is no limit to the ideas, or the number of boards you can make.  On top of that, if someone else pins something that you like, you can repin it to your board.

I know some of you might be thinking... oh great, another time suck to add to my "too many hours on the internet"... but I don't see it that way. I have a bookmarked folder of blogs I like to read. Some are food blogs, some are home decor/DIY kind of blogs, some are crafty blogs. At the end of a long, busy day, I like to read through any new posts with my cup of coffee. It's about all I can manage before bed some days... and now I have a place to save all those great ideas!

No comments: