Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Glimpse of Hope

Back in February, I posted about a yarn dyer who was creating a limited edition colorway in order to raise money for SHARE, in honor of a long time customer who's infant son Charlie had passed away. Having lost my nephew Max, this was something that hit close to my heart, and my wonderful Husband bought me two skeins of the special release colorway for Valentine's Day. I have used it to knit baby hats that are being donated to the local hospital. I thought it was a fitting tribute to use yarn that was raising money for families who have lost infants or pregnancies, to benefit babies.

from www.yarnista.com
20% of the profits of the yarn sales were to be donated to SHARE. In the first two weeks, 527 skeins of yarn were ordered. Yesterday, a check in the amount of $2,500 was sent to the SHARE organization in the name of generous knitters everywhere.  Charlies mom knit herself a sweater using the yarn, and says when she wears it, she feels his arms and heart around her. It allows her to hold and be held by him, and that being part of something larger than her grief has helped her get through such a horrible time. Having been through that grief, though on a different level (it was my nephew, not my own child), I know how important that is. Having been able to be part of this has touched my heart in a way that I can't put into words. I have enough yarn for 2 more hats, then I will make a special trip to the hospital and donate them in Max's name.

No comments: