Saturday, August 06, 2011

Strong Legs Run...

.. so that weak legs may walk.

Today was the 58th annual Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl, played up in Windsor, VT. NH's All-Star football team, made up of this year's top graduated seniors took on VT's All-Star football team in a game that also serves as a fundraiser for the Shrine Hospitals of New England. The three hospitals treat children, regardless of ability to pay, for things such as burns, spinal cord injuries and orthopedic conditions. It's a great day, fueled on in part by the fact that NH has kicked VT's butt every year for the last 11, including this one.

During half-time, a show is performed by the All-Star band, made up of H.S. students specially selected from both states, who come together after rehearsing individually all summer, for 2 days of grueling field work and show creation. It's hot, it's sweaty, and they have a lot of fun. I am always amazed by how well these kids can pull of a field show after running it for only what's really a day and a half, as they don't check in until noon on Thursday. I know adults who would need a month. I guess that's why they are "All-Stars".

This was Corey's second summer playing, and the first time I was able to go. Last summer was a mandatory work day due to a huge celebration at the blueberry farm. This summer I was able to switch weekend days with someone who had today off so that I was able to go. Not being a huge football fan (I admit it, I don't understand football one bit. Give me hockey or baseball any day).. I only go to see the band. They played some selections that they played last year, and some that were new to them this year. I particularly enjoyed hearing Lady GaGa played on band instruments. After half time they have a special awards ceremony for the band, and then everyone leaves. I found out later that NH won, which is really quite awesome for us. Go White! 

It's about an hour and a half drive home from Windsor, and when we rolled into the driveway it was around 7pm. Corey lugged his stuff onto the porch, and knelt down to pat Bella who has been missing him TONS since he has been gone most of this summer. Exhaustion got the best of him, and he fell asleep right where he was in the doorway. I woke him up after half an hour so that he didn't get hurt, and then he crashed on the couch, woke up long enough to have dinner, and went to bed. Glad to have him home, even if it's just for a short while, before he heads back for his last week at MIT.

No comments: