Friday, August 12, 2011

Who Has the Pause Button?

It has been a busy summer that has gone by far too fast. The weather has been beautiful, in my opinion. Sunny and hot, just like summer should be, with enough rain thrown in to keep things green and watered. On August 29th I will head back to work at school, and I am So.Not.Ready. Usually I get to the end of summer, and I feel ready to go back. That I've done all of the "summer things" I wanted to get done, and I'm ready to get back in the swing of a school routine and see the kids and my coworkers and we all know that I love fall. But not this year.

When I submitted my hours for working this summer, I requested Sunday's and Monday's off. I thought that it would be a nice change from having Mon and Wed off last year which just felt awkward all summer long. Two days would give us a chance to take day trips, or do some family things together. What I couldn't know at the time, was that Corey would be off at MIT and having him home some weekends would tie up my free Monday's and that our school district bailing and becoming a new SAU of it's own would tie up some of The Boy's™. On top of that, family events popped up on the weekends, and well, here we are two weeks away from summer's end and I feel a little pout-y.

We haven't been to the lake one time, nor have I been swimming. As hot as it's been this summer, I know that's hard to imagine. We only got a chance to go hiking once, and we haven't taken any day trips at all. My gardens are over grown with weeds, the lawn is in major need of a cut, and so are the hedges. If I said I felt rested and ready to go back, I would be a big, fat liar. I keep trying to remind myself, that in a few years they will both be gone and things will slow down and be quiet. Which makes me grateful and sad all at the same time. I don't want to rush this, I just want a little less crazy and a little more time to enjoy summer. 




No comments: