Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Farewell to Summer


I've spent most of the day thinking about the summer, and how it comes so fast and is gone too soon, and reliving some of the things we did this summer. And then I realized that in fact tomorrow is the last day of summer not today. But yet it doesn't seem like it at all.
My daughter took this photo at my Brother's annual Labor Day party (it's actually his in-law's party) and to me that is the last day of summer. By then we've already gone back to school, and even though I spend the first week wearing sleeveless shirts and my flip-flops... in my brain summer is over. Its cool when we leave in the mornings, and the warmest parts of the day are spent inside, and when we get out it's starting to cool off again, and so we fall into the "summer is over" way of thinking.

I spent some time today thinking of all the things that were on my to-do list this summer that I didn't get too, and all the things that I did instead. I revisited the places that we went, and the people we spent our time with, and even how much my kids grew up this summer. It rained a lot this summer (well, early on) and that provided us with a lovely lush green world to spend our days in. And it was hot. Boy was it ever hot, and some of my favorite memories are from the lake. We did a lot as a family this summer, which is something we haven't been able to do for a few summers now, and it was very nice. As we reach the end, I can put it away in the corners of my mind and drag it back out when the perils of February sink in. And while it makes me a bit sad...

I love fall. I love the crisp air, I love the crunchy leaves, I love my sweaters. I love raking, and apple picking and the change in the color of the air, and breathing easier. How I love being able to breathe. I am a fall person. The colors I look best in are the colors of fall, due to my dark hair and skin tone, and even though I prefer the warmth of the summer, in fall.. I feel like I'm home.

So it's with some mixed feelings that I come to the end of summer. I haven't put my flip flops away yet, and good thing because I hear the hottest day we will have this week will be, ironically, Thursday. I brought down the tub of fall/winter things, but have yet to make the seasonal change of the clothing... perhaps if I put it off a little longer, some of that summer magic will linger a bit longer.

1 comment:

Angie's Angle said...

Wow dear - I love how you wrote this - everything just kind of flowed. Wonderful.

I feel the same way you do about summer. To me the last true day of summer is Labor Day. After that everything changes. The air, the kids going back to school, the cold mornings...etc Its amazing how seasons fly.