Friday, October 07, 2005
5 things I won't miss about this week
Huzzah! (that's an English phrase, didja know that?) It's Friday. I love Friday. Not as much as I love Saturday and Sunday, but I love it just the same. We've discussed my not cooking dinner, and the beer, and the joy that comes at the end of the work week.. so we don't need to revisit that. Some weeks I love Friday more than others. This was one of those weeks.
If I had to rate this week, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best rating, and 1 being the worst... I'd give it a -3. If we can teach five and six year olds about negative numbers now, I can use them to rate my week. Hate you new math. And whoever heard of adding left to right? Anyhoo, that's a post for another day. This one is all about things I won't miss from my week. Here we go.
1. The heat. It's no secret that I don't like to be cold. I enjoy a nice 78 degree day with a breeze and I've always said if it stayed in the low-mid 70's all winter I'd be happy. I don't know if I hold that anymore. It's muggy which makes it feel so much worse. And we have a new door closed policy at school. Which is rather ridiculous as all our doors leading in are already locked.. but thems the rules and we need to follow them. So needless to say it's hot in our old school. So I'm ready for the cool weather. Besides, the trees haven't realized it's fall yet, and they are taking their sweet ole time changing color. But I do have to point out that this is the first year in about 7 or 8 that I don't have my heat on already. I wait until October.. and generally by the first day it's already been chilly and we're just holding out. My heat stays on until May 1st, which is 7 full months. SEVEN months. That's more than half the year.. and this year the heat was on until almost the end of May. Think on that a bit.
2. The headache. I've had a headache every day this week. I think it's stress related. We won't get into the cause of my stress, although 99.9% of it's school related, but let's just say that it is there and there is a lot of it. So much so that I had 2 beers this week on days that I normally don't have beers. (1 each day, though 2 might have been better). We have a long weekend, and I am really looking forward to it even if I do have to go to my MIL's tomorrow.
3. The testing. State testing started this week. They've changed it due to NCLB (hate you bastards, thanks Dubya) so that grades 3-6 are all testing, instead of just grades 3 and 6. Trying to schedule 4 grades full of testing kids, with a bunch that have testing accommodations is a logistic nightmare. I was only scheduled for the past 2 days, and my sentence is now over. We won't even discuss how we just did testing that finished not even 2 full weeks ago and by Halloween we'll have invested 6-8 weeks of the year to testing. Where is the time for learning? And how to you base funding on a test that is given in October? Are we supposed to believe that these kids are ready to test on things they learned last year? As if.
4. My cable connection. Next week our DSL gets hooked up (now that we are finally able to get it) and I can't wait. Next step.. Direct TV. That I can't watch the Red Sox is not acceptable. But.. sometimes they play on a different channel. 24 however is only shown on Fox, and as Fox is not coming in any the stupid cable company can't figure out what to do about that problem, I will be saying farewell to their sorry arses before the month is over now that we won't be relying on them for internet service.
5. I'm hard pressed to think of another thing for number 5. This was a long week, and I'm glad it's over. I'm more glad that we have Monday off. I need a day off right now more than I've ever needed one off before. The boy doesn't have the day off, so the kids and I will probably spend the day lounging and doing not much of anything. My kind of day off.