Monday, August 21, 2006

It's Like Riding a Bike

We only had half an hour to get set up, paint and clean up because Ms. Thang made a date to go off with a friend this afternoon. The hard part about painting with someone else is that they watch your every move and try to do what you do. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I don't want her to imitate me. I want her to do her own thing. Find her own style and her own way of doing it. I want her to think that abstract art is the best thing going if she wants, even if I could care less for it.
But for now I will let her watch. Explain to her how I got the effect I did, and why I choose to do things the way that I do them. Let her try to copy, because then she will learn and hopefully adapt and modify to suit her own needs. She's not as critical as I am, and didn't point out the green blob that leaked into the lake. Her brother did. But that's OK. She told him that "Mom's the best artist ever", and I had an adolescent urge to stick my tongue out at him.

No comments: