Wednesday, August 31, 2005

In which we find some things jumbling around in my brain

 

President Bush flew over New Orleans and parts of Mississippi's hurricane-blasted coastline in Air Force One. Turning to his aides, he said: "It's totally wiped out. ... It's devastating, it's got to be doubly devastating on the ground."


 

This just breaks my heart. I can't begin to pretend that I can fathom what the people in and from the gulf coast region are going through right now.
I do know that in my children's short lives, they have seen more devastation and tragedy than I did by the time I was twice their age. I've had to answer questions no parent should have to answer, and partake in discussions my own parents would've ran away from. And it continues to break my heart.. day after day. Each new day brings more horrific news... and I'm sure that it will continue for weeks to come.

We were hit with the remains of Katrina today, and the boy marveled over how a storm could travel such a far distance, and still pack such a punch way up here where we are. And as the rains pummeled my roof and the winds whipped through at such a high force I worried about my old trees... all I could think of was how horrific it must've been when it was a big storm..and not just some "wimpy remains".

Our prayers go out to everyone who has been affected in any way by this tragedy. God Bless.

No comments: