Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's Good To Be Finished

I started this project on January 26th of this year. I blogged about it here, on January 30th. I Finished this project tonight.. almost 12 months later. I am not proud of that fact. When I first started working on this shawl my MIL was in bad shape. In fact, her health was so poor around this time last year, in January we almost lost her. I worked on that shawl during that hard time, and it turned out to be a much bigger project than I expected. I put it away to work on other things, and would take it out on occasion.. but it was big. And boring. And the yarn sheds and gets caught in my throat.


My MIL had to have major surgery due to these health issues later in the year. And I wanted to be done in time for her to take the shawl to the hospital. And I failed. I can't tell you how many hours I spent knitting this thing.. and it didn't seem to get any bigger. So I put it away. I didn't want to ditch it, because I had invested so much time and effort.. but in the back of my mind I felt like I had missed out on my intended purpose of the shawl. Healing for her. Comfort.

I took it out last week after Max passed away, and working on it gave me comfort. This time the inches went by quicker. In less than one week I was finished the third I still had left to do. Somehow, this time.. the knitting went quicker. I didn't mind working on it as much. I will give it to her on Saturday, and it will still fulfill it's intention, but this time for a different reason. Merry Christmas Mum. I hope you find warmth, comfort and healing in the folds of this shawl.

No comments: