Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Winter That Wasn't

The camera couldn't quite capture the beauty that I saw when I took this photo. Partly due to those two trees on the right side (my neighbor is going to have them removed, and I can't wait!) and partly because I was shooting from lower than I should've been in order to get a perfect shot.

It's was a balmy 68 degrees in southwestern NH today. I had to double check my thermometer, but it was in fact correct. Last year on this date the temperature was 42 degrees. Both of those are above our normal January temps. Now don't get me wrong. I love this kind of weather. It could stay like this most of the winter and I'd be OK with it. (A little snow at Christmas would be nice).


However, this weather is killing me. Because we haven't had a long cold snap.. the air is still full of all kinds of nasty things that I'm allergic too. I can't remember the last day I could breathe well. On top of that... the cold usually kills icky germs that get spread around buildings where lots of children congregate, and so far we've had none of that either. Thankfully (knock on wood) I haven't come down with anything so far. But it would be nice to breathe.

Anyhow, it poured all morning. And then it stopped and the sun came out. And then this afternoon we had a torrential downpour, and again it stopped. The sun didn't come back out this time, but it did manage to peek out through the clouds and cast it's glow on the trees at the base of Mt. Monadnock. It was a lovely sight to be able to witness.

No comments: