Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Whole Lot of Nothing

The camera couldn't capture the true beauty of the falling snow last night. Our first real snow of the winter.. and it was so quite and beautiful. I didn't get a change to post because I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off today. Budget hearing, errands.. blah blah blah. I didn't post it last night because I was feeling to ugly to allow any kind of words to come across my fingers. But when I looked out the window and watched it snow, somehow it was calming enough to make me feel better. I just couldn't catch how pretty everything looked.


Yesterday was our big meeting about the student I work with. If you are a regular reader you know that we are having a bad year with him and he's been suspended for a week. We had a meeting to come up with a plan for where we go from here. Our program is short staffed on Monday, so we asked nicely for him to be able to stay home one more day.. and come back on Tuesday and were steamrolled by our principal. I can't get into the whys and wherefores and all that... but the whole thing is just completely and utterly effing ridiculous. There's actually a ton and half more cr@p that came about due to this meeting also... but this was the sticking point for me.

Then last night, I flip on the late news to find out a monster tornado blew through my dad and stepmother's community and leveled the place. And they had no power and I couldn't get a hold of anyone because it was too late to find out if they were OK. I had a bad night of it.. and this morning was finally able to get a hold of my dad. Their community spans 4 counties... 1,300 to 1,400 houses in their county alone were damaged or destroyed. They are fine. Their house is fine. My stepsister's house is fine. Her backyard neighbor's house was flattened. It amazes me how tornado's work. Unlike a hurricane which just pummels the whole area, a tornado seems to pick and choose. And thankfully all those that I care about are OK. My prayers go out to all those who weren't so lucky.

2 comments:

@wesome@bby said...

glad your fam is OK....we got our first snow, too! :)

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I'm glad you were able to find some peace in the snowfall. Good luck with the challenging kid, that has got to be a tough one. And, I am so glad everyone is safe. You certainly don't need that.