Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bring Back The Light

It appears, that it has finally stopped snowing. It started Friday afternoon and has snowed straight through until about 5 minutes ago. I think at my house we got lucky, and it stayed too cold for the snow to be anything but light and fluffy. I am grateful to not have wet heavy snow on the weak power infrastructures. I heard a nasty rumor about more snow on Wednesday, but I am ignoring it. I haven't been able to get out and run since last Monday due to bad roads and I'm chomping at the bit. I think that unless we have horrible winds tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to brave the badly plowed roads and have a go at it.


The snow did not stop my brothers from coming for Uncle Christmas. It was all uncles this year. My SIL was in NY for a funeral, and my brother B's long term girlfriend broke up with him Friday (what crappy timing) and didn't come. He's living with her right now while he goes to school and I'm sad for him. It has been a long time since we've had a gathering of mostly men and the conversations of the day sure reflected that. I bought my "non-pick-people" Santa Potato heads (except my SIL, she got a set of hot cocoas) and they had a blast playing with them. My brother K made this fantastic creation shown in the photos today and laughed his fool head off about it. Might have been the rum he put in his eggnog, but who knows.

Today is the Winter Solstice, and to celebrate we had our neighbors/friends over after dinner for hot chocolate and cookies. Their daughter is my favorite little 4 year old and the recipient of the sweater in my last post. We played Wii for a bit and hung out and then T had to leave with L because she's only 4 after all and was tired and on the verge of a meltdown after having missed her nap today. A is still here with The Boy, and they are out in the other room playing X-Box 360 and being manly. I had a nice quiet day doing laundry and knitting a sweater for my niece who will be born next month and a bit of shoveling.

These short days and I aren't the best of friends, and I understand fully why we celebrate the winter solstice. If I thought dancing naked out in the snow would make the sun come back and the days longer faster, I would be out there in a heartbeat. So far my urge to hunker down and hibernate has been kept at bay this year, but it is only late December after all.

No comments: