5 things I am happy about today, in no particular order:
1. Fudge. I found this recipe for fudge on Allrecipes.com eleventy billion years ago, and have made it every Christmas since(without nuts, thank you). I made it today so that I can freeze it until our holiday party with my brothers later this month. My mom always made fudge when I was growing up at Christmas, and as I was stirring for 5 minutes today while I watched it bubble and do it's thing I realized that *I* only make it at Christmas time. It's not that I don't like it, cuz baby this is some good fudge. It's just in my brain, fudge is for Christmas. (In case anyone is wondering, I haven't spoken to her since the day she left in August. Just as well I suppose.)
2. Snow. Yes.. I said snow. It's no secret that I hate winter. I hate that it's 4:30 right now and dark. I hate that I'm always so cold and never feel warm. I hate when I go outside and it's so cold out the bridge of my glasses freezes my nose, and then when I go back in they fog up for 3 or so minutes. I hate the icy sidewalks that hinder my walk to school every day and I just don't like that it lasts SO DAMN LONG. However, I like snow up until the end of January. After that I am tired of the whole damn thing, but there's something about the first snows. I love snow for Christmas and it's been a little grey and blah around here. Everything all dead and tired looking. Snow covers all that and makes it pretty again. Christmastime needs snow. We only got a few inches today but I'm hoping for one good storm between now and the big day.
3. Birds. A few of my bird feeders show through the window in that picture. I was running by house this morning and there was a beautiful red cardinal and his lady friend in my tree. I actually stopped for a minute and watched them and continued on my way. They weren't there when I got back. The junco's that hop around the yard are back, and I saw a whole flock of blue jays today. I love birds. I didn't love my run so much today.. and should've just skipped it as I helped my friend move yesterday and was sore and tired... but it was worth it just to see those birds.
4. My teapots. I keep these 3 teapots in my hutch all year. I actually have a more lime-greenier one in the kitchen that I use regularly, but these ones stay in the dining room until I need them. I noticed today, for the first time because life is kicking my rear lately, that they are kind of Christmasy and fit with my decorating. I can't tell you how happy this made me. I stood there for a bit and just enjoyed them. I also moved my rocking chair into the dining room for the holidays and put it next to my bookcases. I was thinking about how my village needs to be switched over to winter and decorated for Christmas, when I realized that even though it's kind of a quirky place for a rocking chair.. I really love it in that spot. Enough that I might keep it there for good. The boy brought that home for me for Mother's Day the year he was out of work. He knew I had wanted a rocking chair for mother's day and had given up on that happening, and got this one for free because someone was getting rid of it. I have over the years been chipping away at the old stain to re-stain it a darker color to fit the room it had lived in, but I might just chip it off and varnish over it and leave it there. Simple things today.. simple things.
5. Being home today. Even if it has been a busy day, I am home and loving my house. I am happy to have a warm house, enough food on the table, and gifts for the holiday's. Some people don't have that and I am incredibly lucky, I know that. I don't have to worry about our jobs, or how I'm going to pay my bills or heat my home. I have a roast in the crock-pot making my house smell yummy, a family who loves me and I'm about to go make some Christmas cookies. Today was the kind of day I needed after many weeks of stress and crappiness. Happy Sunday.