Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Back Away....

Drop the remote, and back away from the TV. I feel like I should print this on a sign, or make a wall hanging of some sort, and plaster it onto the door of the boy's office. My remote basket, is stuffed. It now houses 5 remotes. Every time I turn around, something else is coming into my house that has a remote.

The remote for the TV, I get that. All TV's come with a remote. The DVD player has it's own remote. Fine. I don't see why it can't just be a universal remote, but I'm ok with that too. Then we got Direct TV. Another remote. I thought, Great, we can put the TV remote away. But no. There is some feature that you need the TV remote for.
Oh yes, switching over to the DVD/video game thing. There's this weird little remote that goes to this weird other thing that lets you view photos from your computer on your TV, or listen to your music. Something weird that doesn't get used much. In fact, I don't even see it over there anymore, so maybe it's gone away. But the remote is still in the basket. Then there is the remote for the speakers. Someone explain to me WHY we need a remote for the speakers.

Once upon a time, we had one remote. For the TV. Then we got a VCR and thought it was the best thing ever. We still have that VCR. It's up in Mr. Man's room, hooked up to an old TV the boy got when he was in the Army. He can only watch movies and play video games on that TV.. and yet, he has two remotes. It's a vicious cycle that never ends. I get my electric bill every month, and wonder how, when hardly anyone is home all day, it can be as high as it is.. and then I look around. I will never understand man's fascination with having stuff that plugs in.

I'm ready to pull the plug.

No comments: