Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wednesday is for...

Wednesday is for Randomness...and boy do I ever have some. First, I present to you the sock from hell. I love the yarn, I love the design on the cuff.. I hate the pattern. I was a little concerned yesterday after I turned the heel, that it seemed sort of short. Not the cuff, the heel. So today, I attempted to try it on my foot. The spacing of the needles is perfect to put a foot through. Unless it turns out, that your sock is too small and you didn't realize. Look closely at the photo. See that triangle kind of thing going on?? That's my broken DPN. Thankfully Brittany will replace it, and mail me a new one. But I'm unhappy. These socks, going to the frog pond. The yarn will become new socks. Perhaps I'll just follow Wendy's great toe up pattern, and do the stitch pattern for this cuff on the new ones.

See these hedges? They form a lovely barrier around about 65% of my yard. Living on a busy corner, I appreciate the privacy and the way they (mostly) keep the neighborhood kids out of my yard. Look at the bottom of the hedges, see where the branches all meet together? Now imagine all that space, and in between all those sticks full up with leaves. I rake the whole yard in the fall. And then, in the spring, I spend more time than I want to admit to squatting next to the hedges, raking and pulling the leaves out with a gloved hand. I've tried every tool. This is the only method that works. Today, I finished! I won't bore you with the scars on my right arm, or the muscles in my inner thighs that are screaming for mercy, or how many times I thanked God I had something covering my eyes and the stick just bounced off instead of impaling my eyeball.

I picked up Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West from the library and started it last night. It's mostly O.K. I don't like to quit on books. Even bad books get a million chances... "oh, if I keep going maybe it will get better." But I'm having a hard time with this one. There are a lot of politics in it. (the librarian warned me of that) And there is a lot of religion. Not something I expected in a "light reading" book. I also picked up Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and I'm hoping it will perhaps be a litle lighter. It's still a good read.. just gloss over the politics.

Then we have these leaves. See them in there? I took a photo much earlier in the spring of these leaves. I suspected they were tulips, and Carly agreed. We never had a late snow this spring, and I was all excited that I was finally going to learn what these flowers were. Well, unless tulips haven't bloomed yet, I still don't know!!! I do however have lovely grape hyacinth's that pop up all over that part of my yard, so I leave them. By the time they are down their short lives, the perennials are coming up and I just snip the spent leaves down.


And last but not least, we have this. Saturday, I came home from errands to find that my favorite bird feeder had fallen down from it's home and smashed on the ground. This photo is the results of that, minus the feeder. I received that bird feeder from my brother in law and his fiance. It belonged to her mother when she was alive, and she wanted me to have it. It was a clay sort of material, shaped into a mushroom. I loved it. It added a nice touch hung over my bird bath in another part of my yard where the other feeders aren't. Right outside my birdhouse (also a gift from a family friend.) It was obvious when I picked it up that no amount of gorilla glue was going to fix it. My heart is still sad over this. I will replace it with something else... but it won't be the same. The boy suspects that the leather strap dry rotted and that was what caused it's demise. And the real kicker... those damn pigeons are having a lovely team eating up all the seed.

3 comments:

Julia said...

I like the sock from hell. I too have the darling purple hiacyinths....THEY ARE SO CUTE!

@wesome@bby said...

Have I told you lately HOW MUCH I LOVE YOUR BLOG?!?! Well, I do, big bunches. Almost as much as I like you!

onescrappychick said...

awww shucks!!