Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Like an Ocean

"Where are you going, with your beautiful face looking down
Don’t hide away
You are like an ocean
That I can’t see, but I can smell and the sound
Of your waves coming down"

Every time I hear this Dave Mathew's song, I am taken away. Taken several hours away in fact to
my favorite spot in the state. Hampton Beach. Before we moved to "the other side of the world", we lived about an hour and a half away from the beach. (Not that we could ever get there that quick, but still... it was nice.) When I was growing up we used to go to the beach with my mom and her best friend. We'd all pack into the station wagon, or the car, and spend the day playing in the surf and sand.

When I got my license, one of my favorite places to drive to was the beach. Alone, with a crowd, day, night.. didn't matter. I did it all. I loved the pounding waves, the smell of the salt, the hustle and bustle of the "strip."
There was this one house (not shown anywhere here) that was at the point of a sort of Jetty, that I would dream about owning one day. A bunch of years ago it went up for sale, and I about had a heart attack when I read how much they were asking. I don't know if I'd like living at the beach though. I couldn't deal with the traffic and the tourists and the noise. And once you have it all the time, is it as special as when you only get it occasionally?

We moved to the southwestern-most corner of the state 4.5 years ago. We are now about 2.5 hours from the beach. With no traffic. We haven't been back to visit since we've lived here, and every year my heart longs to be there. My favorite time of day at the beach is sunrise and sunset. The boy likes to go at night. Once the blazing sun has gone down. He enjoys the hustle and bustle of the night life, and the arcades.

Me.. I prefer a stroll at waters edge just as the sun is saying goodnight to the fish.

(note, none of these photos belong to me. I found them on Google. Many thanks to the photographers.)

No comments: