Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Reading List

"In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn; color your hair; watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five.Nineteen minutes is how long it took the Tennessee Titans to sell out of tickets to the playoffs. It’s the amount of time it takes to listen to the Yes song Close to the Edge. It’s the length of a sitcom, minus the commercials. It’s the driving distance from the Vermont border to the town of Sterling, NH. In nineteen minutes, you can order a pizza and get it delivered. You can read a story to a child or have your oil changed. You can walk two miles. You can sew a hem. In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world; or you can just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge."



If you haven't read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult yet, I suggest you add it to your must read list. This book appealed to me on so many levels. It was a mystery, without being to mysterious. There was love, without too much sappy romance and unnecessary sex. It captured my attention from the very beginning and kept it held right up until the last word. I needed to know what happened next. It took place in NH, which always amuses me to no end (I'm a simpleton, what can I say?), even if the town itself was fictional. I haven't read for leisure in I can't tell you how long.. this book was just what I needed to kick off the summer.

No comments: