Tuesday, September 11, 2007

We Will Never Forget

It seems sometimes, that there are so many things to complain about. The traffic, the weather, the person at work who pissed us off, the mess the kids left in the middle of the room, bad hair days, too many bills, not enough time.... and the list goes on and on. It's become almost second nature in our country to just complain. I know I am as guilty of this as anyone. (you do read my blog, you know it's true).

Today though, today seems like a day that should be set aside to be grateful. A day to quietly reflect on the good things....the parts of our lives that are happy and full of joy. On a day that is solemn and sad... looking at the the positive might help to counter-balance the rest. Not to forget it.. just to keep focused on why it should be remembered. So, here's my list. The abridged version.


I am grateful for my family. Not my "I got stuck with you" family.. my own little family. 1ne husband, 2 children, 1 dog, 2 cats and some random house mice. I sing the praises of The Boy on several occasions during the year. You can read about him here, here and here if you desire. But no matter what I write.. it never seems to be enough. The words never seem to express the hugeness of what is in my heart. He really is the best and I am thankful for him every single day. (yes he does piss me off on a regular basis. It's not such a big deal when he does anymore) And even though I complain about them often, as witnessed here, here, and here... my kids really do rock. I work with other people's kids. I know just how lucky I am. My kids are nice, and kind, and well mannered, and just really great kids. They both slept through the night at 3 weeks, and napped for 2 hours in the morning and the afternoon when they were little. I knew then and there I had good kids, and I wasn't wrong.

I am grateful for my job, no matter how hard it is and how much is sucks the life out of me on a daily basis. (this year isn't as awful as last year however.. another thing of which I am grateful) I am grateful to be able to work, and to have the things that we have and to be able to do the things we are able to do. Many people have less than we do, and many more have nothing. We've been though hard times, and I think that has made us better for it. While I am grateful for where we are now, I never forget where we have been. It helps keep me focused.

I am grateful for the roof over my head. I am grateful for the food on my table. I am grateful for my best friend, who travels far away from his family, and his little son who misses him so much.. to make sure our soldiers are safe and able to to their jobs. I am grateful for the opportunity to live in a country that has freedoms other countries don't. I am grateful to be here, when on this day 6 years ago, so many perished needlessly. I am grateful for the men and women who are fighting to make sure it doesn't happen again. I will never forget.

2 comments:

Bec said...

Well put, Beth.
It's so easy to ask for something in our prayers...gotta remember to send those prayers of gratitude up, too!

Yanks4Life23519 said...

I like the picture of the window!! =)