Saturday, February 04, 2006

Plan B


Hello! How are you? Did you have a nice week? Whew, has it been nutty around here. I've been meaning to get on and blog, and by the time I click on the page, I can't seem to think about what I was going to write about. Ole thinker's just been plumb tired.

I have been knitting a bit this week, at night. Got this little green sweater done in a few nights, as a shower gift for a friend at school. She's having a little boy in April. The color is actually a bit lighter (TLC Essentials in Light Sage) but I needed to shut the flash off in order to get the stitch definition. It's shown next to the pattern booklet. The original pattern has a slip stitched design up at the yoke, but the lovely thing about this pattern, is it's adaptability. I just did a garter stitch design instead, and wallah. Much more masculine. This sweater pattern was the first non-scarf thing I ever created, and I've re-knit it so many more times since then. The great thing is you can go down a few needle sizes, use lighter weight yarn, and get a newborn size, or go up with bigger yarn, and get a larger size. (The pattern creates a size 6mo.) You can knit the yolk one color, and the body a different, and I even have a modification to add a hood. Just lovely. If I was smarter, I would've started with this pattern to begin with.



But no, I found a cute little patten on the net, for a nice boy sweater using DK yarn which I happened to have in a lovely butter yellow color and had at it. I knit and knit and knit, on tiny size 5 needles, and then I got to this point where you seam it up and add the neck and button band. And it has issues. The arms are too short (I did the 9 mo size). The body won't meet in the front, even with the button band. And it's just so.. boxy. I was so not impressed. It sat in my knitting basket for 3 days while I worked on my MIL's prayer shawl (I have 20 inches.. so, about 40 more to go, and she's back in the hospital so I feel a pressing need to get this finished, although as of today she is on the upswing) and I just made myself crazy about what to do. Do I finish it, and give it anyhow? Would I want a sweater that ugly for my baby? And I decided that I'll unravel it and use the yarn for something else, and proceed to start the Little Lamb (name of the pattern in the Leisure Arts booklet). And all I could think of as I knit that little gem up (it's such a quick and lovely knit).. was that I should've just stuck with a good thing when I had it. But every once in a while one of the free net patterns I find works up lovely as well, and you don't know until you try it. This one will head to the recycle bin.

4 comments:

KathyMarie said...

I love the green sweater! Congrats on your first garment! Wooohoo!

I'm about to step into baby-sweater knitting too... it's a little scary, but you've inspired me.

OneScrappyChick said...

Oh, this wasn't my first garment..the first one I ever did was using that same little pattern. I was scared to death, but it's so stinking easy..and they are small. So it's almost like instant gratification.

Torreh said...

The green sweater is gorgeous. Great job Beth.

Awesome Abby said...

I SO laughed out loud about the "would i want my kid to have somethign as ugly as this sweater". It's not ugly at all, and anyone would love to have a handmade gift from you. you are entirely too hard on yourself, ms. perfection!