Monday, January 23, 2006

Snowy Silence

I love the quiet calm that comes along with a snowstorm. From the quiet in the house, as the kids enjoy some extra sleep in the morning, to the quiet outside as I shovel. Rain is a loud event. Snow is very quiet. It muffles other noises you'd otherwise hear as well.

We've had one full week of school since early November. I have a feeling we are going to be in school until the end of June this year. That makes for a miserable end of the year. But it's hard for the kids. We were in the 50's at the end of last week, and over the weekend. Grass showed through everywhere, and they grumbled. It is January after all, and how can they play in the snow if we don't have any to play in. And if you've ever been in a hundred plus year old school building in June, you don't need me to tell you how miserable that is. It can be 70 deg. outside, and 105 in the classroom. Yet each time we get a snow day, we rejoice. Snow days are fun. It's kind of like playing hookey..but you don't get in trouble.

What the photo doesn't show, is that it's still snowing. We've gotten over half a foot, and you can't even tell I've already shoveled. I plan to head out again in half an hour. Snow is best shoveled in shifts. The quiet extends onto the Internets today. My message groups are quiet. The blogs I read are quiet. Email is trickling in..but slowly. The snow is slowly starting to ebb up. But they say it can stay heavy until 3'oclock. So I'm not holding my breath for one more shoveling event. But it's OK. I don't mind being out there. I enjoy the quiet.

1 comment:

@wesome@bby said...

wanna hear some ass-backward stuff? WE here in TN, where it NEVER SNOWS...we have 13 built-in days!!! We've done this for the past FIVE YEARS. Do you know how many, in FIVE YEARS we've used? 7. That's it. SEVEN. We don't get compensated for them, we don't get out early if we don't use them, she just go 13 extra days. For nothing. now that i have that out of my system, I hope you don't have to go through June...YUCKY!!!!! But, enjoy them while they last!!!