Monday, October 30, 2006

I Fell Back

I've never really understood daylight saving. I mean, I get the idea. If we mess with the clocks, then the kiddies don't have to stand outside for the bus in the dark. Instead, they can't go outside and play after school because it gets dark so early. Next year we are moving daylight saving time to November. So where is the sense in that I ask? Wait, that isn't the reason? Something about the farmers? Don't they know that the farmers rise with the sun no matter what the clock says?? Oh.. hmmm. Got it. It's really a government ploy to save money on electricity. Do they tell you that in school? Nope.


" One of the biggest reasons we change our clocks to Daylight Saving Time (DST) is that it saves energy. Energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. Bedtime for most of us is late evening through the year. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights and TV.
It then goes on to talk about how in the summer with the time shifting forward people plan activities around the light and aren't home using their TV's and lights. Ok, whatever. I looked out my window at 4:30pm today, and saw this. The sun was going down already, and saying goodnight to the mountain. It takes my body a week to get used to the new time, and I hate it. As I work during the days in the winter, I don't get a chance to be outside until later in the day. If it's dark, I don't get my daily dose of sunlight, nor do I get in my walk, and all this makes me tired and grouchy. Bring back the daylight. We've saved enough.

No comments: