Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Give thanks.. with a grateful heart

I have a few issues with Thanksgiving as a whole. What started out as a celebration of living, and gratefulness..has turned into a hyped up excuse to eat until you're sick and watch football. Oh, and we can't forget the big shopping sales.

When I was a kid, Thanksgiving was a lot of family, some that I only saw 2 times a year, stuffed into a tiny apartment eating turkey and enjoying each others company. And for us kids, it meant awkward moments with relatives we barely knew, good smells, and lots of fun and giggles in the back room. And then I grew up. And things changed. And people got older, and the celebration moved. And it was OK. A little weird, and still awkward, but OK. This year, our celebration will be small. The family is scattered all over, relatives have passed on, and others barely hold on to life. But we will be grateful for the time we have together, and the memories will hold us until the next time we see each other, be it a few weeks, months or even a year.

And even in the midst of all this change, and awkwardness.. we don't forget why we gather. I have so much to be thankful for, that I could fill this blog with the list. I give you my top 5.

1. My family. More specifically, my husband and my children. The best part of who I am, is because of them. I am grateful for the chance to be part of their lives, and I try very hard not to take them for granted. I don't always succeed at this, and I am trying to be better at that. But I thank God every day for the blessing they are in my life.

2. A roof over my head and food on the table. We may not be wealthy, but we are rich beyond measure. Sometimes it might be hard, but we are managing, just as we have always done. Through the most impossible times, we have been able to hang in and come out ok.

3. A reason to get out of bed every day. Sometimes I complain about the craziness and the stress, and how dead tired I am... but I am thankful every day that I have a job I love, and a paycheck to bring home. It may not be a large paycheck, but the rewards of my work far exceed any monetary amount.

4. A warm home to come in out of the cold. Especially with the uncertainty of heating costs this year, I am grateful I have a warm house when so many have not.

5. Another year. Another chance to be better, do more, try harder and love with all I've got.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: