Friday, June 23, 2006

O is for...

O is for ordinary.

There is nothing special about me. I am average height, and average weight, not too skinny and not overweight.. I am married with two kids, a house and a dog. Also a cat and a hermit crab, and some field mice. I live in a small town, we have a mini-van. I work full time, raise my kids, clean my house and do all those other ordinary things that other people do.



So it always surprises me when I get compliments. Any sort of compliments. Someone comments on my hair and I think, "Ugh, it's way overdue for a trim, it's thick and unruly and have you seen all those whites, and this humidity is making it soooooooo frizzy..." So I make some flip comment along the lines of, "Thanks, it's driving me crazy though and I cant' do anything with it." According to Ms. Manners I should just stop at thanks and accept the compliment.

Seems I have trouble with that. I get compliments and I feel embarrassed. I hate to be the center of attention, and I guess I don't like people to notice me. A therapist would have a field day with me, let me tell you. This is a deep seeded issue that I can logically think back on and know where it has its roots. I can give compliments like they are going out of style. I try to work on accepting them better, but it's hard. I have to make a real effort to accept the compliment and then move on. Someday I hope it's second nature.

(tomorrow I'll blog about that damn sock and the woes of the toe)

No comments: