Thursday, December 01, 2005

Farewell to Fall


Yes, I know that fall doesn't officially end until Dec. 21st but my brain officially puts it to rest on December 1st. The leaves have all fallen off and been raked up several times, the trees are barren and snow has already fallen. I took this photo last Saturday. The pumpkins used to live on my front door step, and they were awaiting a trip to the pit to become target practice for the boy and his friend across the street. They were good pumpkins, but frozen pumpkins make for bad pies.

 Anyhow, where was I. Oh yes. I love fall. I believe I've already revealed that I feel most at home in Fall. The colors, the smells, the hustle and bustle of the new school year. Yet after fall comes my least favorite season. Now don't me wrong. I like snow. It's fun to play in and it's pretty and quiet and it brings my favorite word (snow day) with it... it's winter that I have issues with. I live in a part of the cold north that is mostly grey in the winter. We average more days without sun that we do with. And then we have sub-below temperatures. There's only so much grey and sub-below that a body can take and then it revolts. It's a long hard road for me to get from December to April (when the weather starts to turn for the better) feeling like I'm still intact and the same person I left behind on December 1st. February is by far my worst month, and my mood suffers along with the headaches, tiredness and blahs.

This year I'm going to fight it. Hard. I'm going to spend more time outdoors (except when it's cold enough to freeze skin), I'm going to spend more time taking care of myself, and I'm going to look into a sunlight lamp. The money spent will be well worth feeling sane come the end of March. So as winter knocks on our door, I say .. Bring it ON! Tomorrow I'll give an update of my holiday preparations, and share a photo of my decorations. My gift to you is 25 days of posts.

No comments: