Friday, December 30, 2005

The Final Countdown...

As we reach the final hours of 2005, and the last few days of my "December posting binge", I've taken some time to reflect on the year and look ahead at the one to come.

I've decide to reflect on the past year in tomorrow's post, and focus on 2006 today. I've found that even after 5 years, having a 20 at the front of the year instead of a 19 still is foreign to me. It's such an abstract thing that I can't wrap my mind around it. It constantly amazes me. I have a "Wow, I can't believe we're in the 20's" kind of light bulb moment. I can see this for maybe 2000, and 2001..but c'mon now. I need to get over it already. I do often wonder what they'll call this decade. "Classic hits from the 80's, 90's and ....?" This stuff will keep you up in the middle of the night.

So anyhow, where was I. Oh yes. 2006. I love the idea of the "new year", all fresh and unspoiled. I often think about the places I want to go, and the things I want to do during the year..but when the year is happening, it seems there is never time or I forget. This year I'm going to make a list. And then keep it somewhere I'll remember. Most of the things are family oriented, but I do want to take a weekend trip with the boy. We never got to go for our anniversary this year, and come hell or high water we are going somewhere this year. When the weather warms up of course. I have also decided not to make any resolutions this year. I always set goals that are unachievable in the crazy hum drum of life, and then I have guilt when I don't meet them. I'm Catholic, I have enough guilt already.

So for 2006, I'm going to make a list of things I am NOT going to do instead. Here goes:

  • I am not going to be made to feel guilty for saying NO to people no matter how much they whine and give me pouty looks.
  • I am not going to beat myself up if I don't get to something on my list. I will just move it to the next day, week, etc. and get on with life.
  • I am not going to set unreasonable expectations of myself, and the feel bad when I fall short of reaching them.
  • I am not going to spend all my time doing for others, and forget to do for myself.
  • I am not going to forget that they are just kids after all and sometimes I should cut them some slack. ( I will have to work hard on this one)
  • I am not going to be one of those people who doesn't take time to enjoy life.
  • I am not going to let people take advantage of me. I count too dammit.
  • I am not going to forget that each day is a treasure and there may not be another one tommorow.


No comments: