Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pee-ew!

Y'all.. we have skunks. A family of skunks has taken up residence under my neighbors porch and they come out at night to frolic in my yard. I think it's the grubs in the lawn that entice them over to my side of the fence, or maybe the thrill of out-foxing the cat, or terrorizing my dog. But whatever the case... it stinks! Literally. Each night an eau-du-stink wafts in my windows. There is nothing pleasant about skunk when you are trying to fall asleep.

My cat almost got into a scuffle with the skunk. My foolish dog tried to get into a scuffle with the skunk tonight. I watched a raccoon hiss at a skunk from it's perch in my nut tree. (that was actually a riot and a half.) The boy went out one night because our friends across the street called him to "come check this out".. and it was the family of skunks out for a stroll.

Y'all... there are 5 of them! I worry about my vegetable garden. I fear that the skunks are going to reap the rewards of my labor. Do skunks like tomatoes? I don't even know. What I do know, is that while I enjoy most of God's creatures, I could live without the skunk!

No comments: