Thursday, July 13, 2006

A river runs through it...

So tonight after dinner the boy and I went for our walk. It's a 1.5 mile loop that goes out our driveway, down to the school.. out to the bus turn around, back past the school.. back down our street half way.. down a little side road that turns and runs parallel to ours, then we go down the street, around the mill, back up the other side of the mill, past the library, around the common (not all the way) and then home. It's a rather enjoyable walk.






Tonight we ventured off the beaten path so I could check out the river that runs through town. It has been super loud and roaring lately due to so much rain. This was what I saw. There was a large beautiful heron in the river, that I scared a bit upstream. I didn't know he was there, and herons are skittish by nature anyhow. I've seen him before at the pond that feeds this river and I enjoy him very much.


 The river starts at a pond, runs into another pond, over a dam.. alongside the common, under the mill (which I think is cool cuz you can see where it come out on the otherside), under the road I took this photo from and then out to where I was standing tonight. After that it runs down by the school and then where it goes from there I don't know. I love these red berries. I don't know what they are buy they are awful purty to look at.

We came up the other side of the mill, and discovered signs. Now we knew the mill was being renovated, we just haven't seen any action going on that would lead us to believe that timely progress was being made. Until these signs. Maybe it's a good thing.. or, as the boy said, maybe they are just trying to make us think things are moving right along.




 They are turning the old mill into an adult 55+community. Condos, shopping, the whole kit and kaboodle. It will be good for the mill. I think it will look a lot better when they are done with it. It will be good for the town. Help out the tax base and bring some new life into things. Because I serve on a town board or two, I was invited to sit in on the first meeting they had when the presented the idea to all the town officials and board members. I couldn't think of one bad thing about the whole plan. I like that my walk brings me up one side of the mill and down the other so I can follow there progress. Mostly they've been working on removing all the old mill equipment from the inside which doesn't make for good viewing.

1 comment:

@wesome@bby said...

Sounds like a much more entertaining walk than mine each night, but I did see a little turtle tonight while we were walking! :)