Friday, December 17, 2010

Can You Teach an Old Dog New Tricks?

December 17: Lesson Learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (author: Tara Weaver)

In order to answer this question, I have to first ask myself, "What did you learn about yourself this year?" and then from there decide what the best thing was. That is a tricky question.  What did I learn about myself this year? I learned that I might be too hard on my kids, especially my son, and I need to be more understanding of his plight as a teenager and cut him some slack.


I learned that I might be too critical of my husband, and I need to just appreciate what he does more, instead of focusing on what he's not doing, or not doing well. I learned that sometimes I focus too much on the bad, and the negative, and I need to spend more time focusing on the good and being positive. I learned that I complain a lot (but you knew this, didn't you?).. and I need to do less of it. I learned that when I take time for myself, instead of always being busy and on the go and doing for others, that I am happier and calmer and in a better place. I learned that when I don't spend enough (or any) time exercising, I get crabby and irritable. It would appear that I had quite an eye opener of a year, but I think deep down I always knew these things, I think I just openly acknowledged a lot of them this year.

As a result of this, I have targeted these all as things I want to work on next year. I feel like I need a bit of an overhaul.. or that my attitude needs a major overhaul, and I want to make this a focus of 2011. I don't want to be known as that "cranky bitch who lives at the end of the street".  I don't want my kids to think back on me as someone who was always cranky and complaining. I have realized that I have few years left with them in the house, and I want to try and foster better relationships with them before it's too late. I think it's going to be hard. I think I'm going to have to really expend a lot of effort to make this all work. I am committed to it however. I'll let you know how it works out.

No comments: