Sunday, December 26, 2010

Food For The Soul


photo from November: Harvest Dinner
December 26: Soul Food. What did you eat this year that you will never forget? What went into your mouth and touched your soul? (author: Elise Marie Collins)

It wasn't a certain dish, or any one food that touched my soul this year, it was a food event. I have already blogged about this event here, but looking back on 2010, this day, this dinner with my friend and her family, was the food that my soul needed. Typically, except for Uncle Christmas, or a summer cookout, we have one or two people over to dinner at time. Usually, it's my good friend C, or it's C with one of her family members who's visiting. Our summer cookouts always feel a little stressful (could be the time of the year, the people we invite, the weather not cooperating.. who knows), and this  year for Uncle Christmas, all my brothers decided we should order out Chinese, and all I did was some baking. 

This day however, this day was different. This day was about comfort foods, and seasonal produce, and getting together to give thanks for just being here, together at the table enjoying a good meal. I enjoyed every part of this meal, from the planning, to the preparation, to the eating and even the clean up. I don't know what it was about it, but the usual stress that comes along with having people over wasn't there. It's not a secret that I don't enjoy large gatherings, even if they take place at my house and I planned for them. I didn't feel any of that on this day, or the days leading up to it. Part of it might be that I am in a better place, but I think more of it was due to it not being OUR family members that were coming. There's a certain stress that comes with family, that you don't get when it's friends, or even their families. It was a wonderful day that I will treasure in my heart for a long time.

No comments: