Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How Much Longer?!?!

December 21: Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the years ahead? (bonus: write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (author: Jenny Blake)

I couldn't help but think of the song Five Years Time by Noah and the Whales when I read today's prompt.  In five years from now I will be 41 years old. I will have celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary that year, hopefully by going on a big trip off this continent. I will have a son about to turn 21 years old, and be of legal drinking age. With any luck, he will be pursuing his dreams in a swanky college for highly intelligent people. I will have an 18 year old daughter who will just have graduated from H.S., and will hopefully be attending some swanky culinary school in her life dream of being a chef. For the first time in our married lives, The Boy™ and I will be alone. It's crazy to even think about, and more crazy to think that it will only be 5 years from now. Five years really isn't that long. I haven't considered until right now, that I will only have my children here for such a short time. There is so much that I still want to teach them, and share with them. I don't know what to tell my future self, other than to slow down. Spend more time together. Do less yelling. Let stuff go. Laugh together. Share things. Make this time together something that they will want to remember. Love them.

No comments: