Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Picture's Worth 1,000 Words

December 25: Photo-a present to yourself. Sift through all the photos of you from the past year. Choose the one that best captures you; either who you are, or who you strive to be. Find the shot that is worth a thousand words. Share the image, who shot it, where, and what it best reveals about yourself. (author: Tracey Clark)

As the family photographer, you find that more often than not, there aren't that many photos of you. Just today, The Boy™ picked up and snapped some pictures of me while I was learning how to use Ms. Thang's new Rip-Stick board in the kitchen. We were having a jovial time, and he said, after taking a picture, there aren't that many pictures of you. Well, you don't say.  I went back through all the pictures of me from this year, of which there are few, including the ones from this morning, and I have to say, this one, taken the day after my new niece was born is my favorite.

The Boy™ took it at the hospital, while I was sitting on the side couch, enjoying every minute of holding her in my arms. She was sound asleep, and quiet, and everyone was visiting and chatting, and her and I were just there, being.  What I love most about it, aside from how I was feeling sitting there holding her, and how it is a wonderful remembrance of it, is the look on my face. I hate having my picture taken, and so the best photos, end up being the ones when I didn't know the camera is pointed at me. In this picture, I can see that I'm happy. Not just because I'm holding my beautiful new niece, but truly, and genuinely in a good place.. happy. The tiredness isn't there, there are no hidden worry lines, or fake smiles covering up anger and hurt. In this picture, and on this day, and at this time in my life, I am happy. I am so glad to have this photo as proof of that. It's a nice place to be.

No comments: